Friday, May 7, 2010

Schoooool's Out! for! Summer!

I am very, very happy to announce that I have successfully finished this school year! Granted, I am running on 4 hours of sleep and 1 1/2 meals a day, and I still need to pack. But the worst is over.

So, I will be returning to the farm (for the whole summer!) tomorrow morning. And then, I suppose, the real work begins! Here is my starters list:

  • Write CSA invitations and mail them to our prospective members. This is a good first thing to do, since my body is recovering from a number of things right now, and immediate heavy lifting will be difficult. Although I might procrastinate from this a bit in order to get out and walk around in the sunshine (you can imagine how tired of writing papers I am right now).
  • Let Dan catch me up on how the field is coming along, what plants are doing well (and which are not) and which are ready to transplant.
------

Okay, update. It's taken me a long time to get this posted... it's Monday night now. Things really took off after I wrote the above. Dan and I began to rake beds, and we've now transplanted broccoli, spinach, and some onions. We also did some direct-sow spinach, and we're planning to do the same with broccoli. Our new seedlings all look great! (That's tomatoes, violet cauliflower, and romanesco broccoli.) Also, we transplanted our biggest cauliflower seedlings into bigger pots, since we wont be able to plant them outside for a while longer. They look great too! Seems like our little seedlings are making great recoveries (pictures coming soon!)

I have the rest of the week to transplant onions, spread manure and hay mulch, rototill, direct-sow some more plants, and water, water, water. I also might be doing some emergency operations on frosted plants, by the look of it. Low twenties tonight! I'm crossing my fingers for the new transplantees.

So, things are beginning to chug right along. Old problems are out of our minds and new ones arise. Luckily, I feel ready to take it on! I'll start with those CSA letters right now...

~ Terra

No comments:

Post a Comment