Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rain? Frost? Sun? Wind?

The weather in New Hampshire is weird. Fact. These past few nights have gone below freezing, and yet I've been consistently working in the fields in a T-shirt (and also constantly taking on and off a sweater). Tonight its supposed to be 20 degrees F! I'm pretty worried about my little onions, spinach, and broccoli that are sitting out there. I spent a few hours today gathering old hay from the barn loft and spreading it around and over the young plants. I hope it will be enough. They have survived below-freezing nights already, this is just another test.

By the way, I found a friend in a rotting hay pile outside today! Here he is:

He's so cute!

I took a couple pictures and then put the hay right back. He looked sleepy. Apparently they are rare nowadays... whereas my mom says that she used to see them around the farm all the time when they moved in.

I also had some help today. These two little ones helped to pluck stones out of the field and chuck them in the drainage ditch. There are sooo many stones, it's great to have help!


































Also, my friend Julia dropped by and helped me cover up the plants with hay. I can't stress enough how helpful it is to have friends drop by.
As for the plants: Here's what the plants in the field look like right now, all bundled up:

Nice and cozy!
(Those are onions by the way)

And here are some of the guys inside:





























Violet cauliflower and young broccoli in the first, and older snow crown cauliflower in the second.


























These photos feature LOTS of onions, kale in the first photo, and older violet queen cauliflower in the second.







I totally forgot to snap the broccoli and spinach until they were all covered in hay, and that really made for a boring shot.

Looking forward (sort of!!) to seeing if my little seedlings survive the frost!
Love from the farm!

~Terra

No comments:

Post a Comment